12 June 2011

"She Must Try Harder"



Reports. Currently the bane of my existence.

Even you are not a teacher (and presumably most of you have not been born with unfortunate desire to spend the bulk of your waking hours coercing those hormone saturated little buggers into seeing further into the distance than which of their friends is currently posting pictures of themselves pouting at a camera on the Book of Faces) then l am sure you will remember the dreaded day that your report card would land with a doom laden thud on your doormat, or, worse still, when you would have to physically place the wretchedly thick envelope in your parent's hand. The day when you found out that your Science teacher had clocked every single time you had attempted to reshape your eyebrows with a Bunsen burner. That your English teacher had not considered the collection of notes to your best friend about how much you longed for Gregory Smythe to finally touch your breasts appropriate practice for your 'persuasive writing' coursework. That your P.E teacher thought that your attempt at creating a new sport, 'Netty', a combination of Netball and Rugby which generally resulted in broken noses, split lips, and your opponent suspended on a goal post, was less a moment of sporting genius than an example of not-so-subtle revenge on the school bitches. As a child, l generally spent those days hiding behind curtains or under sofa cushions until the inevitable tornado of my mother's anger had calmed. At least enough for her to have stopped searching for vacancies at the local nunneries.

But now, the power is my hands. Whilst the task of report writing is tedious in itself, particularly when it involves filling in an A5 sheet for over 330 pupils in the space of three weeks when 'Copy and Paste' is VERBOTEN by the powers above, l do truly take great pleasure in being able to praise those students who have worked hard, and to write derisory comments about those who l have had thoughts about setting alight since the start of the school year. The hardest to write about are the ones who l can't actually remember having ever taught. Even when l look up the photo, l could swear on my life they have never set foot in my classroom.Which is either a sign of the early onset of Alzheimers or that the child has spent a entire year of art lessons disguised as a table leg.

It doesn't matter whether the report you are writing is good, bad, or indifferent, every teacher has to learn the art of communicating their true thoughts and feelings in a phraseology and language that is subtle enough to pass muster by not only the school management, but also the parents themselves. Indeed, writing, "Little Johnny apparently loses the ability to control his hands the minute he picks up a pencil" or "It is a shame that the effort that Gertrude puts in to the application of her drag-like make-up is not translated into her use of paint" is likely to end up in an unfortunate court case, and an irate bull-dog of a father eating your liver for breakfast. Neither pleasant nor desirable, nor a good career move.

So, instead, you use phrases such as the following: "She has made huge progress this year" (Transl: She has mastered the ability to draw a straight line); "He is often distracted in lessons" (Transl: Every lesson he spends more time looking at girl's breasts than his work); "To improve she must use neater pencil marks" (Transl: Her work looks as if she has shoved a pencil in her nostril and attempted to draw with it); and, "He does not put his full effort into achieving his full potential in tasks" (Transl: Despite taping a pencil to his fingers, sitting him facing a blank wall, and forcing him to listen to Cheryl Cole on repeat, he still refuses to do any work whatsoever). The last one is not true. Honest. At least, it was System of a Down, not Cheryl Cole. And his ears only bled a little.

In fact, my parents have kept all my report cards, and  l recently re-read them in a completely different light. In my mind, l was a pupil beloved of all my teachers, even my History teacher who took every excuse to 'jokingly' knock me on the head with a hardback book. According to these reports, it is lucky that l escaped school with my limbs intact, and without ever have been hung from a gym ladder and repeatedly beaten with a hockey stick.

On that note, l am going to stop being distracted by memories of Gregory Smythe and the overwhelming stench of his father's Old Spice, cease listening to Frank Turner on repeat and dreaming about Dave Grohl, and am definitely going to finish writing these damned reports.  See Ma? I am trying MUCH harder.

 *Okay, just ONE more listen...



7 comments:

  1. I would never sneak on children to their parents. If they misbehaved, I would daub their faces with brightly-coloured dyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I couldn't imagine having to write report cards. Good luck. I like your translations though! Listening to Cheryl Cole would be punishment.

    My report cards were always dreaded. I was the kid that was easily forgotten in Elementary school because I never talked. It always said "Candace is too quiet. She needs to participate in class more." My mom always said that the teachers would have meetings with her because they thought something was really wrong at home. But there wasn't. I was just painfully shy. I will never forget my C+ in second grade, for printing and handwriting. To this day, my printing is still horrible, and I probably couldn't handwrite if I tried!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have all my school reports - since juniors, my mum died a couple of years ago and I found them in her house.
    They are hilarious. Guess teachers didn't have to be quite so PC in those days, and they get steadily worse as I get older.

    I might, when I run out of things to bitch about make a blog post of them. Hahaa

    And why, having read my latest post (I know you did you left a comment) did you have to mention dave fucking grohl ? Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha brilliant! My report cards were generally okay. In Primary School when I was 11, the teacher finally lost her patience with one of the more troublesome students and sent him along to another classroom to ask the teacher for some grey matter...

    ReplyDelete
  5. GB: Dagnammit, l should have thought of that earlier. That is my new school year resolution. I shall name it, "Inking the Troublemaker".

    SB: Well, that's what computers are for. My handwriting also remains shite. The kids can never read my marking. Which is good, because l am sure that writing 'fuckwit' on someone's work is unacceptable practice.

    DirtyCowgirl: Teenagers generally do get worse the more hormones course around their bodies. They also smell worse. And Dave Grohl? Well, l would explain to you in minute detail about my lifelong crush but l fear l would be the recipient of some kind of hate mail.....

    Mich: Brilliant. A friend of mine used to play a game when a kid was just really irritating them, sending them off with a note to a fellow teacher that read "Johhny is a fuckwit, pass it on", and the kid would get sent to about 5 different teachers to show them the note. Little Johnny did not have a clue, but the class was much more peaceful without him - apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good one, Anna!

    My dad was always cool with my report cards, but mom sometimes went crazy when she saw a 'B'.
    "Why did you fail?," she'd say. lol.

    But music was a subject I never quite passed :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Send me some reports to write, and I will gladly make up something for you :)

    ReplyDelete