29 May 2011

Packing Pandora's Box.

I have moved house countless times in my life. So familiar is the task of packing and unpacking boxes and bags that l think l could take it up as a profession. Indeed, l would not be surprised to hear that the staff at the local supermarket think l have developed some kind of cardboard fetish, or that l am attempting to reconstruct the Eiffel Tower in my back garden. My house is starting to resemble either an illegal sweat shop, or the hovel of a sculptor. The boxes may even be starting to reproduce.



Some of these house moves have been ones of joy, and others have been performed under duress and amidst floods of tears. Some have involved a convoy of cars filled to the brim with boxes, some with merely a suitcase and a toothbrush.

All have had their moments. The family cat escaping from its basket in the front of the car and scaring my mother out of her wits. Swinging a van sharply around a tight corner to hear a mirror smashing against a set of drawers which consequently meant l was picking shards of glass out of my knickers for weeks. Trying to pass off the 'buzzing' sound in one box to a friend as an electric toothbrush, which was awkward and embarrassing for us both.

The impending move is bitter sweet. Packing away objects that were part of a different existence. Re-reading old letters. Sorting through books and films that provoked week long discussions. Knowing that these memories may never be unpacked. The joy of treasured moments, and the sadness of the loss.

However. There is often a moment when, sifting through your belongings, you re-discover a long lost love.


Turn up the volume. Grab some bubble wrap. Leap about in your slippers. Enjoy.

8 comments:

  1. I'm racking my brains to guess what the "electric toothbrush" was. If it was a "ladyshave" you were right to be embarrassed. Removing natural body hair is a shameful exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like moving house - apparently it's one of the most stressful things to do, but not for me.
    Recently had a big clear out though and I know what you mean about the 'memory stuff'. I love all that too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate moving. I don't mind the packing but the unpacking is horrendous! Hope it all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that can be fun finding old gems like that when you move, and other times it good to get rid of old crap. Hope the move goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dislike moving houses its a tiring process, and can be emotionally taxing too. The packing and then the unpacking later. Hope yours goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha, I love the bit about the eiffel tower. I'd love to move house, attempted once and failed. Izzy xo
    www.swampedinflowers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Moving is a nightmare, truly. :(

    I hope you'll find something on my blog to make you feel better--an award! I gave you the Overlord award, where you get to have world domination and make 3 changes to our world. I thought of your writing and figured you would do an amazing job! I hope you will have fun with it (I got completely carried away with it). lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. GB: In which case, l am thoroughly ashamed. I know it is heathen to your cause, but l, for one, fight my hirsute tendencies with any means Gilette can provide me with.

    Dirtycowgirl: Indeed. Although not so fun for the friend who has to sit through hours of my reminiscing. I blame the wine.

    SB: Thanks! I am just looking forward to driving a truck again.

    Dr.K : The problem is deciding what is/isn't crap. Do l keep my old sneakers with holes? Is it right to keep ALL the Christmas cards l have received since day dot?

    Jaya J: Thanks! One day l am goning to be rish enough to pay someone to do it all for me whilst l am sunning myself on a beach.

    Izzy: Yes, if l had my way, l would never do it again. Or l would have a home/tardis so l could just press a button and be somewhere else without all this box nonsense.

    Frisky: Thanks SOOOOOO much for the award! WOW! I ma putting my mind to it now..... You have mad my day :) xx

    ReplyDelete